Tahini banana smoothie – simple vegan smoothie with banana, tahini, and homemade coconut milk.
We love smoothies and make at home very often. I do carry it to office as a mid-morning snack. My husband has it as a post-workout meal. And smoothies are an easy way to incorporate proteins into my daughter’s meal.
As we drink smoothies almost daily, I have to invent different flavor combinations to please my dear daughter. Our smoothie generally contains
- Any nut milk ( You can also add yogurt or kefir. Coconut water also works fine)
- Frozen fruit for creaminess (I generally freeze the surplus fruits to avoid wastage. These will be handy on weekday mornings)
- Sweetener of choice( Dates or coconut sugar or honey)
- Fresh seasonal fruits
- Nuts or seeds for extra protein ( chia seeds, flax seeds, peanut butter, tahini.. )
Sesame seeds are a good source of calcium, iron and B vitamins. I try to incorporate them every day in some or other way. Tahini is nothing but sesame seeds ground into a thick paste. We use it for hummus and now in smoothies.
Take sesame seeds in grinder or food processor and grind it on low speed. Scrape the sides on regular intervals and continue to grind until a smooth paste is formed. Oil will be released from sesame seeds and smooth paste will be formed after some time. If the grinder heats up, stop it for some time and repeat the process. You can add sesame oil as well to speed up the process. Store the tahini in a bottle and can be refrigerated for months as well.
What you’ll need to make tahini banana smoothie…
- 2 medium-sized frozen bananas
- 1 cup coconut milk (Any nut milk can be used)
- 4 dates (Soaked in little water so that they can be blended into a smooth paste)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (Soaked in water or coconut milk and is optional)
- 1 tbsp tahini
- Pinch of salt
How to make tahini banana smoothie…
Take blender or mixer grinder. Add soaked dates along with soaked water and chia seeds to it. Grind them into a smooth paste. Now add remaining ingredients and blend it again to form a nice creamy smoothie. You can add more coconut milk to adjust the consistency according to your preference.
Notes: For freezing bananas, peel the ripened bananas and keep them in zip log bag or steel box. Store it in the freezer section of the refrigerator.
If you try this recipe or any of my recipes, please share your valuable feedback. I would love to hear your feedback on any of my recipes. You can share the feedback here or on my personal Instagram or Facebook page. Please do share the recipe if you like it