Sambar powder or Sambar podi is South Indian style lentil and spice powder used in making Sambar. There will be many recipes for Sambar powder, this is our family recipe. I always like to make all kinds of masala powders at home and store it in the refrigerator for 3 to 6 months. They are easy to make and can last for months.
Hot steamed rice with Sambar and ghee is the match made in heaven. Sambar is a quite staple food in all South Indian homes. Sambar with idly or rice or dosa or roti will be a complete and satisfying meal. Sometimes I use this sambar powder in stir fried veggies or in vermicelli upma to give that south Indian touch.
This is very easy to make, just get all the ingredients ready and you can do this in 15 minutes. I have dry roasted all the ingredients, you can roast them with little oil. But if you plan to store this for more time, better not to use oil as it may go rancid. And better store this in the refrigerator if you are making in large batches.
If you try this recipe or any of my recipes, please share your valuable feedback. I would love to hear your feedback on any of my recipes. You can share the feedback here or on my personal Instagram page. Please do share the recipe if you like it
Sambar powder recipe
- 1 tbsp Chana dal
- 1 tbsp Urad dal
- 1 tbsp Dry coconut powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander or dhaniya seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin or jeera seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek or methi seeds
- 1/2 tsp Whole black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 4 Whole red chili
- 2 1-inch cinnamon sticks
- 5 Cloves
- 5 Green cardamom
- Heat a pan and dry roast all ingredients one by one except salt and turmeric powder.
- Once all ingredients are cooled, grind them in a spice grinder. I like it to be a little coarse powder.
- This recipe will yield 6 tbsp of Sambar powder. This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
- You can fry the ingredients in little oil but the final powder might go rancid if stored for many days.
- This powder can be stored easily for 3 to 4 months in the refrigerator.