Karivepaku podi - simple, healthy and tasty spice powder mix with curry leaves
Karivepaku podi benefits:
Curry leaf is a good source of iron, vitamin A, B and is high in antioxidants. These lower the bad cholesterol and reduce your chances of heart diseases. Even though we use these leaves in the day to day curries and dals, generally people won't eat these. They just take them away, and this
Curry leaves are said to be good for hair as well, known to blacken grey hair. My mother used to boil curry leaves in coconut oil and apply it on my hair for black and strong hair 🙂 We still make this flavored oil at home and use it for my daughter as well.
How to store excess curry leaves:
In Indian summers, you can sun dry them as well. If drying is not an option for you, you can roast the leaves on a very low flame till they turn crisp. Or roast them in an oven on the lowest possible temperature to retain maximum nutrition.
You might also be interested in a similar spice powder recipe with Amla.
How to make Karivepaku
- Dry roast chana dal, urad dal, moong dal, sesame seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, methi seeds one by one, till they turn light brown.
- Add teaspoon of oil and roast red chili and take them aside. Add one more teaspoon oil and roast the tamarind. Roast it on low flame till the tamarind turns crisp.
- Take all these roasted ingredients along with turmeric powder, sugar, garlic, salt and grind it into a fine powder.
- Add curry leaves to the grinder and grind into a fine powder.
- Store the powder in the airtight container. This stays good for a couple of months.