Please help us improve Everyday nourishing foods and thereby serve you more! Take ENF - readers survey now. It will not ask for the email address or phone number and, you will finish it in less than 2 minutes!
Roasted Makhana - simple yet healthy snack recipe with Phool makhana(Foxnuts), Indian spices, and oil/ghee.
Makhana is also called foxnuts, which are nothing but lotus seeds that are grown in ponds and wetlands. They are used in Ayurveda and considered as auspicious. They are offered as Prasadam in temples and are eaten during Navratri fasting.
After knowing about makhana health benefits, I started using it more in my kitchen. They are high in fiber, protein, and carbohydrates. It’s a good source of magnesium, phosphorus, and iron. Leave all its health benefits, they are very tasty to eat 🙂
As they are rich in protein, I use these in my homemade protein powder. I also make Mushroom and makhana curry with cashews as the base. I also make makhana raita with plain makhana or with these roasted makhana.
Roasted makhana is delicious and easy to prepare yet healthy and wholesome. My daughter likes it so much and I make it very often and store in an airtight box. It is far better than any other packaged snacks.
Packaged foods will be full of preservatives, emulsifiers, and trans fats. We try to avoid these at home as much as possible. In the market, these are available in packaged form as well, don’t go for them. Get plain makhana and its very easy to roast it at home.
Roasted makhana recipe
- 4 cups plain makhana
- 4 tsp ghee or coconut oil
- ⅛ tsp Turmeric powder
- ⅛ tsp Roasted cumin powder or jeera powder
- ⅛ tsp Red chili powder
- ⅛ tsp Black pepper powder
- ⅛ tsp Black Salt
- ⅛ tsp Amchoor powder
- Salt to taste
- Mix all mentioned spice powders, salt and keep it aside. You can skip the black salt and double the amchoor powder quantity as well.
- Heat a kadai, add tsp of ghee or oil and makhana.
- Roast makhana till they are crisp, on low flame. It will take around 7-8 minutes.
- Switch off the stove and now add spice powder mix and 2 tsp of ghee or oil. Mix it well so that spice powder is coated to makhana. Add more ghee or oil if required.
- Once they are cooled, store in airtight container and enjoy them !!