Traditional Telangana dish made with rice flour, chana dal and sesame seeds.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Servings 3 - 4 people
- 2 cups rice flour
- 200 gms bottle gourd (half of medium-sized gourd) (Optional)
- 100 gms ridge gourd (one medium-sized gourd) (Optional)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup chana dal (soak in water for 30 minutes)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp green chili paste
- 1 tsp gginer and garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- Oil to shallow fry
Grate bottle gourd and ridge gourd. Add all ingredients to a mixing dish and mix everything without adding any water. If possible rest the flour mixture for 5 to 10 minutes so that water will be released from the veggies. Now add water little by little and make a dough.Don't add more water, it should be a little hard. By the time we make roti, water will be released from veggies and dough will become soft. Now take an orange-sized portion of dough and pat it to the kadai as shown in below picture.Make small holes so that oil penetrates and sarva pindi cooks evenly.
Add a few spoons of oil and spread it all over. Now cover the dish with lid and cook for around 10 to 15 minutes till it is golden brown color. (No need to flip the sarva pindi and cook other side)
Serve Sarva pindi hot or cold!!!
- Chana dal can be soaked up to 4 hours. If soaking for more time, soak it in the refrigerator.
- Amount of dough to make the Sarva pindi depends on the size of your pan.
- Onion and garlic can be omitted from the recipe to make it no onion no garlic recipe.
- While cooking the Sarva pindi, cover with a lid so that Sarva pindi will be cooked with steam and less oil is absorbed.