Sambar powder recipe
Sambar powder is flavorful powder made with roasted spices like chana dal, urad dal, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, etc.,
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp Chana dal
- 1 tbsp Urad dal
- 1 tbsp Dry coconut powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander or dhaniya seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin or jeera seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek or methi seeds
- 1/2 tsp Whole black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 4 Whole red chili
- 2 1-inch cinnamon sticks
- 5 Cloves
- 5 Green cardamom
Heat a pan and dry roast all ingredients one by one except salt and turmeric powder.
Once all ingredients are cooled, grind them in a spice grinder. I like it to be a little coarse powder.
- This recipe will yield 6 tbsp of Sambar powder. This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
- You can fry the ingredients in little oil but the final powder might go rancid if stored for many days.
- This powder can be stored easily for 3 to 4 months in the refrigerator.