Learn about today's lunch plate, part of my Lunch Ideas series, where I share my everyday lunch ideas with you along with meal prep and cooking tips so you can easily make wholesome lunches at home.
This lunch meal has a wholesome millet with creamy red lentil dal and crunch fresh veggie salad. With my recipes and tips, you can make this meal at home and enjoy a hearty meal.
Millet - A Versatile Grain
Millet is a staple in my kitchen, and I include it 2 to 3 times a week in my meals. Cooking millet is quite simple, and it pairs beautifully with various dishes.
For a fluffy and perfect texture, follow my detailed guide on how to cook millets. Remember, the key is in the water ratio and cooking time if you like the fluffy millet like me!
Red Lentil Dal - A Protein-Packed Delight
Red lentil dal, or masoor dal, is a protein-rich and comforting dish that's a regular in my meal plans. Its creamy texture and flavorful spices make it an irresistible part of any meal.
I usually follow my Instant Pot red lentil dal recipe to save time and have hands-free cooking. This flavorful dal will complement the millet very well. And while making this red lentil dal, I have used kale.
Cooking and Meal Prep Tips
- I soaked the millet overnight to reduce the cooking time and to make the millet fluffy.
- I cooked some extra millet and refrigerated it so I could use it for dinner or the next breakfast. You can check my millet recipes post, where I share different ideas for using millet.
- I did not have time to cook a vegetable curry, so I added raw veggies as a salad to make the meal satiating and colorful.
- For this veggie salad, I used onion, tomato, and carrots. You can use any veggies like cucumber, bell peppers, or zucchini. You can also use steamed or cooked veggies to make this salad.
- Instead of millet, you can have other grains like rice and quinoa. Or you can serve the dal and salad with Indian flat bread like chapati, paratha, and naan bread.
This simple lunch idea is easy to make, tastes delicious, and satisfies your hunger. Give it a try, and let me know how it turns out! I hope you enjoy this meal as much as I do.
If you tried this meal and liked it, please share your feedback. I would love to hear from you. Happy Cooking!
Vegetarian Lunch Idea: Millet with Red Lentil Dal and Veggie Salad
Ingredients for Veggie Salad
- ½ cup mixed vegetables
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs optional, chopped
- A drizzle of olive oil optional
- Cook the millet as per the recipe.
- Make the red lentil dal as per the recipe
Instructions to make veggie salad
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the chopped vegetables.
- Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Toss everything well to combine.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve fresh alongside the millet and dal.