As you know, breakfast is the first and most important meal of the day. So it s hould be as healthy as possible to fuel your day and make you energetic.
In this post, you will find all healthy breakfast ideas and recipes that are also tasty enough to please your taste buds. And you can have these easy breakfast recipes for any meal of the day.
Typical Indian breakfast varies from region to region and even state to state. Usually, North Indian breakfast will be paratha, puri, poha whereas, South Indian breakfast will be idly, dosa, Pongal, upma.
At our home, along with traditional Indian breakfast recipes, we also make instant breakfast recipes that are very helpful for busy mornings and also do not require any planning.
And sometimes, if time is crucial or I have to have breakfast on the go, I prefer smoothies and chia seeds pudding as my breakfast.
I usually plan our weekday breakfast a week before or at least a day before. Planning a breakfast or any meal of the day has helped me so much and made healthy eating easy.
So based on my experience, I have listed out reasons for planning breakfast and how to plan a healthy breakfast.
Why plan a breakfast
- Saves precious morning time - With planning, you know what to cook, and if required, you can do prep work a day before, and it saves a lot of time, and you can utilize that for other activities.
- Avoids food wastage - If you know what you have and what to cook before, you can use the leftovers and perishables properly.
- You will never skip breakfast - Most of the time, you skip breakfast because of lack of time. If you know what to cook before, you can do prep work a day before if required or make
- Make breakfast as healthy as possible - With planning a breakfast for the week, you can try to include varied sources of grains, lentils, veggies, and fruits and try to include all food types in your daily diet.
How to plan an Indian breakfast
- It is better to plan on the weekend for the next week and shop groceries, fruits, and veggies accordingly.
- If your week is busy, soak beans and make sprouts on the weekend. Soaked beans will stay good for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Though I prefer cooking beans just before using, sometimes cooking them on weekends is helpful. And these are far better than canned beans. Store the cooked beans in the refrigerator if you plan to use them within 2 to 3 days or else store in the freezer section.
- The typical south Indian in me asks for idly and dosa as breakfast for most of the days. Making idly and dosa batter on the weekend will help, and you can whip up breakfast in just 10 minutes.
- Make chutneys that are suitable for breakfast and lunch or dinner, and you can use them for more than one meal.
- Make coconut milk and almond milk and store it in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. And a week or so in the freezer.
Let's see all healthy Indian breakfast recipes on this blog. In the end, I have also included healthy and quick global breakfast ideas like muffins, cookies, and smoothies.
Looking for dinner recipes that are healthy yet tasty? Check out my quick dinner recipes collection and share it with your friends and family!
All these breakfast recipes are
- refined flour-free
- refined sugar-free
- mostly vegan (if not, I have included the best possible vegan substitutes)
- kids friendly
- very tasty that will surely satisfy your taste buds.
Collection of healthy Indian breakfast recipes:
Easy and healthy Indian breakfast ideas ( and recipes included)
Typical Indian breakfast recipes:
Quick and instant protein-rich besan or chickpea flour dosa with added veggies.
Main ingredients: Besan flour or chickpea flour, mixed veggies like tomatoes, capsicum, zucchini, carrots, moringa leaves, etc., and Indian spices.
Kids favorite pasta made healthy with lots of veggies.
Main ingredients: Whole wheat pasta, mixed veggies like cabbage, capsicum, zucchini, carrots, etc., and Italian spices.
This is a quick and easy semiya dosa with added veggies.
Main ingredients: Vermicelli, rice flour, wheat flour, onion, methi or fenugreek leaves, and Indian spices.
Easy, quick, and instant semolina pancakes with added veggies.
Main ingredients: Semolina or sooji rava, mixed veggies like capsicum, carrots, etc., and Indian spices.
Easy and quick flatbread with Zucchini that will be good even when served cold. You can make these parathas with bottle gourd or ridge gourd or even with cabbage.
Main ingredients: Zucchini, whole wheat flour, and Indian spices.
Make this spinach paratha for your breakfast to up your leafy veggies intake. These will be good to eat as it is or with any curry or chutney or dal.
Main ingredients: Spinach, whole wheat flour, spices.
Super flavorful and tasty mint Pongal with millet and Mung lentil
Main ingredients: Millet, moong dal, mint leaves, and Indian spices.
A quick 20 minutes recipe with puffed rice. Ideal for breakfast, dinner, and evening snack when you are out of time!
Main ingredients: Puffed rice, peanuts, and/or roasted chana dal (sattu), Indian spices.
Simple and protein-rich kidney beans curry, eat it with whole wheat roti, or as it is!
Main ingredients: Kidney beans or rajma, veggies like bottle gourd, zucchini, beans, carrots, and Indian spices.
A traditional South Indian style sweet Pongal recipe that is made healthy by using millets and jaggery. Have this vegan and gluten-free dish as a dessert or as a breakfast.
Main ingredients: millet, moong dal, jaggery.
Another simple 30 minutes recipe with potatoes and mushrooms. I like to have this alone as breakfast, but you could pair it with any flatbread.
Main ingredients: Potatoes, mushrooms, onions, and basic spices.
An easy and quick baked paneer curry that only takes 10 minutes of your active time!
Main ingredients: Paneer, chickpea flour, yogurt, veggies like tomatoes, bell peppers, and Indian spices.
This is a healthy and guilt-free dessert-like breakfast dish with black rice. You can even make this kheer into smoothie and have it on the go!
Main ingredients: Black rice, coconut milk, palm sugar, or jaggery.
Sarvapindi is the Telangana special tiffin and one of our favorite dishes at home. To make it more healthy, I add grated veggies.
Main ingredients: Rice flour, peanuts, chana dal, and Indian spices.
Make your regular South Indian breakfast recipe more nutritious with millet grain. This is a simple yet healthy ven Pongal recipe with any small millets.
Main ingredients: Millet, mung dal, Indian spices
Few global breakfast recipes:
No-cook chia seeds pudding that is uber healthy and delicious. You can make this ahead a day before and enjoy it on the go!
Main ingredients: Chia seeds, nut milk, seasonal fruits and nuts.
Smoothies are my go-to breakfast option if I have to make for myself alone. These are perfect for carrying along also.
Main ingredients: Strawberries, nut milk, almond butter, and banana(optional).
These vegan, gluten-free, and refined-sugar-free muffins make guilt-free and delicious breakfast options.
Main ingredients: Buckwheat flour, banana, passion fruit, coconut sugar.
These vegan and gluten-free cupcakes just taste like your rice kheer!
Main ingredients: Rice flour, coconut milk, unrefined sugar, and coconut oil.
If you love to have cookies and a glass of milk for your breakfast, you should try making these! These healthy and protein-rich cookies are quite filling.
Main ingredients: Oats, whole wheat flour, almond butter, coconut oil, and coconut sugar.
Another guilt-free and healthy cookies with buckwheat flour that are flavored with chocolate and ginger.
Main ingredients: Buckwheat flour, brown sugar, yogurt, coconut oil
As you are here, you might also like my most popular lunch recipes collection. Check out 25+ healthy lunch ideas and tips that can help you to prepare a healthy meal easily at home.