Strawberry and banana smoothie (Vegan and healthy recipe)
Sharing is caring!
Strawberry and banana smoothie – an easy and healthy smoothie recipe that has only four ingredients.
This strawberry banana smoothie is my favorite way of eating strawberries and I make it more often during strawberries season.
Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C, manganese, folate and potassium. These red, juicy fruits are rich in antioxidants which are good for heart health. Also, strawberries rank number one in the Dirty dozen foods list, so it’s always better to eat organic strawberries.
According to Ayurveda sour fruits and easily digested fruits should not be consumed with milk and its products. And hence I use coconut milk to make a smoothie or milkshake with strawberries.
This stores well for 1 or 2 days in the refrigerator. Better to store in airtight glass jars filled up to the brim, to reduce the oxidation and nutrient loss.
If you are interested, please check other smoothie recipes on this blog. Smoothies are my goto breakfast or dinner on a very busy day. Its always better to eat homemade food and it may not be possible to prepare food for all the meals on all days. So these kinds of smoothies are quick to make and keep stomach light.
Variations to this strawberry and banana smoothie :
- I have used homemade coconut milk to make this recipe. Almond milk can also be used to make this smoothie. If using cashew milk, do not store this for later use as cashew milk will be curdled because of tartness in strawberries.
- This strawberry smoothie is made without yogurt or milk. But plant-based yogurt can also replace coconut milk in this recipe. I sometimes use coconut yogurt to make this smoothie. And when using coconut yogurt, if it is sour in taste, I add dates or brown sugar as the sweetener.
- Almond butter makes this strawberry smoothie creamier and also makes it more nutritious. I sometimes use Chai seeds and/or flax seeds in this recipe(mostly when I make smoothie only for myself 🙂 ). Chia seeds and flax seeds provide good amounts of protein and are a rich source of plant-based omega-3 fatty acids. The final smoothie taste will vary accordingly. My personal favorite way is to use only almond butter 🙂 as it will not overpower the strawberry flavor.
- You can add a sweetener of your choice. This recipe doesn’t have any sweetener as banana and coconut milk adds mild sweetness to the dish which will suffice.
- To make the creamy strawberry and banana smoothie, freeze the bananas for few hours in the freezer section of the refrigerator. Or if strawberries are not in season, use frozen strawberries. Smoothie or milkshake becomes creamy when you add any frozen fruit.
How to make strawberry banana smoothie:
- 8 Strawberries ( Medium sized)
- 2 small bananas ( I used Karpooravalli variety)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp almond butter
Add all the ingredients to the blender or mixer grinder and blend until smooth.
For creamier version, use frozen bananas or frozen strwaberries.